Monday, November 21, 2011

Gratefulness; Day One

Starbucks Time

Not surprisingly, Thanksgiving is this Thursday. I’ve been focusing a lot lately on just how much I have to be thankful for. Honestly, I have no words for how blessed I am. I was at a loss at how to even start articulating how I feel. I want to shout it from the rooftops, but I get so caught up in finding the right tone. Am I being trite or cliché? Does that come across the way I want it to? On, and on. Lately, though, I’ve been hit with so many messages about the importance of sharing your journey, where you’re coming from. Not least of which was during Sunday’s sermon. Growing up in the church I’ve heard thankfulness preached all of my life. Different ways to express it. How-to lists from the complex to the simple. This time though, it hit home in a new way. Why am I not singing from the rooftops? Why do I let myself get so caught up in the method that I just throw it in the towel all together? Ridiculous.

What this means is that I have some changes coming, both big and subtle. What this means for now is that I’ll be taking a feather from the cap of Oh, Hello Friend and her week long thankfulness challenge. Each day this week I’ll be posting a list of 10 things that I’m thankful for. Some will be serious, some will seem silly, but they’re all heartfelt expressions of my gratitude. I’ll also be sharing snapshots of what my daily life looks like. Those trips to Starbucks and strolls to work. The little things that make up my life. And I invite you along. What are you thankful for? I’d love to see your lists in the comments or on your blog.

I am thankful for…

● Grace. Without this, nothing else would matter.
● Friends. I couldn’t have asked for a more amazing support system. To have people that love me even when I’m at my worst still boggles my mind.
● Family. Ditto with my family. Particularly my mom. Her strength to never give up no matter what the situation and her amazing, unconditional love amaze me daily.
● Opportunities. These past two months have shown me more and more how blessed I am to have the opportunities I’ve been given.
● Laughter.
● Trials. The times that test my limits and grow my perseverance. Knowing that I have God’s strength to rely on along the way, because without it I would crumble.
● Hot coffee on chilly days. And the time to sit, think, and read that goes along with it.
● Connections. I am so thankful for the amazing connections I’ve made through the internet. To be able to meet and get to know people from around the world.
● Good books.
● The holiday season. I love seeing people come together. I love the music. I love the food. I love all of the extra opportunities to get together and celebrate.

Leaves are Falling

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erica,

    I read this a while ago and didn't have time to comment then (I'm sure it had something to do with my kids running around crazy or something...). But I enjoyed reading your list of thankfuls. You are such an inspiration.

    My list of 10 (by far not conclusive...)
    1. That in all the history of the world, in all the places I could have been born, into all the families, social conditions, physical conditions, etc. that people find themselves in, I was mercifully put in the place I am in, with the knowledge of God's plan and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ for me, the love of a family, the ability to make my own decisions and the right to worship as I please. (Yeah, I know I just shoved like 50 things in one...) :)
    2. My family - the one I grew up in and the one I'm now growing up.
    3. In these hard times, Ryan has a job, and, even though it doesn't pay much, it pays for everything we need.
    4. That my mom's cancer is gone.
    5. That I never have to go without food or clean water.
    6. That I am always warm or cool enough.
    7. That I can stay home and raise and homeschool my kids.
    8. That I have friends, however far away they are, that care about me.
    9. That no matter how bad my day has been or how many mistakes I've made, I can always start over.
    10. That there is a plan for my life, even if I don't know what it is, and I just have to trust God, and everything will be how it is best for me.

    Oh, how the list could go on and on! When I sit down and really think about it, there really isn't anything to not be grateful for in my life, including the challenges.

    I wish we could see you all this holiday season but I don't think we'll make it out of Idaho this year. I miss you and your mom. You guys are great.

    ReplyDelete